Cars over £2000 automatically come with a 3000 mile or 3 months major mechanical faults warranty whichever is sooner.
Cars below £2000 can come with the same warranty or a 1000 mile or 1 month major mechanical faults warranty whichever is sooner. (This is dependant upon the car being sold)
If a warranty claim is being sought, It is the responsibility of the insured to get the vehicle to Penelope Pitstop.
Engine – rocker assembly, inlet and exhaust valves, valve guides and springs (excluding burnt valves and decokes), cylinder head (excludes cracks and overheating damage) stretch head bolts, push rods, camshaft and cam followers, timing gears, chains and tensioner, oil pump, pistons and rings, cylinder bores, con rods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, flywheel and ring gear, distributor drive.
timing belts – providing there is PROOF that the manufacturers replacement recommendations have been complied with and in the specific time period and they are free from oil contamination.
manual and auto gearbox – gears, shafts, synchromesh hubs, selectors, bushes, bearings, speedometer drive, overdrive units, solenoid, transfer box
Electrics – start/ solenoid, alternator (unless burnt out), ECU (engine only), wiper motor, heater fan motor
brakes – master cylinder, servo, brake pumps, brake limiter valve
steering – rack and pinion, steering box, idler box, power steering, pressure pipes, reservoir, steering column
propshaft – propshaft universal joints and bearings
Fuel system – mechanical or electrical fuel pump
Liabilities & exclusions
liabilities: The insurer will be liable for the costs of parts, labour and VAT to the limits as stated on the policy schedule providing that all requirements have been met, and the failure falls within the scope of this policy.
This policy provides cover for mechanical breakdown which is defined as:
1) the actual breakage of a mechanical part covered
2) the complete failure of an electrical part covered
1) this policy does not cover death, bodily injury, accidental damage, consequential loss, or any other damage howsoever caused.
2) this policy does not cover wear and tear, inherent faults, faulty workmanship, cracked blocks, cylinders heads, burnt valves, oil and fluid leaks, accidental damage to radiator, windscreen and all glass. wear and tear items include examples such as tyres, exhausts, catalysts, hoses, clutch, brake pads, and rubber bushes etc.
3) this policy does not cover damage by negligence, I.e insufficient oil or water, overheating, or failure to ensure that minimum damage is incurred by taking preventative measures.
4) mechanical breakdown or damage arising from the grade or fuel not recommended by the manufacturers if the insured vehicle.
warranty on repairs
Most new parts come with a 12 months manufacturers warranty excluding batteries
Penelope pitstop will warrant any work done on a vehicle and will be happy to replace or redo any work within a reasonable time frame.